Rockfish of Prince William Sound
There are over 100 species of rockfish that inhabit cold-temperate ocean waters around the world, and approximately 30 of these rockfish species can be found in Prince William Sound and the Gulf of Alaska. Rockfish are classified together in the genus Sebastes which means "magnificent", a suiting name for these amazing fish.
"Pelagic" rockfish are those that live in mid-water. Several species can be found in Prince William Sound and the Gulf of Alaska.
- Black Rockfish (Sebastes melanops)
- Dusky Rockfish (Sebastes ciliatus)
- Yellowtail Rockfish (Sebastes flavidus)
- Widow Rockfish (Sebastes entomelas)
A Quillback Rockfish. Photo from Valdez Outfitters
"Nonpelagic" rockfish are those that live near the ocean floor.
- Quillback Rockfish (Sebastes maliger)
- Silvergray Rockfish (Sebastes brevispinis)
- Copper Rockfish (Sebastes caurinus)
- Tiger Rockfish (Sebastes nigrocinctus)
- Yelloweye Rockfish (Sebastes ruberrimus)
- China Rockfish (Sebastes nebulosus)
Rockfish are an important part of life in Valdez. Some of our local seafood restaurants serve rockfish, and many fishing charters are available for those interested in catching their own rockfish.